- 2 Sautéd Soft Shell Crabs (recipe below)
- 2 Eggs
- 2 TSP white vinegar
- English Muffins or Brioche
- Chopped Scallions
For the Sautéd Soft Shell Crabs
- 2 Soft Shell Crabs
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour, Sifted
- 1 Cup Cornmeal
- 1.5 TSP Sea Salt
- 1.5 TSP Black Pepper
- ½ Cup Clarified Butter
- 1 Garlic Cloves (peeled / whole)
For the Hollandaise Sauce
- 4 Egg yolks
- 1 TBSP Lemon Juice
- 1/4 Cup Melted Butter
Sauté soft shell crabs
- Start with thawed and dressed soft shell crabs.
- Sift the all-purpose flour and then mix with cornmeal, salt and pepper.
- Dredge soft crabs in the flour mixture and gently shake off excess.
- Over medium-high heat, sauté clarified butter and cloves of garlic to infuse the butter.
- Sauté crabs for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown (or internal temperature reaches 160°F).
- Place soft crabs on wire rack or paper towel-lined tray for one minute to drain.
- Poach two eggs. Fill a medium size pan half full of water, add 2 tsp. white vinegar to the water and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer, add eggs and cook 3 1/2 minutes. While eggs are cooking, prepare the hollandaise sauce.
- To start the hollandaise sauce, first, whisk egg yolks and lemon juice in a heat-safe bowl until slightly thick.
- Place bowl over a saucepan of lightly simmering water, continue to whisk until warm and thick.
- Slowly drizzle in the melted butter until sauce has doubled in volume, check seasoning, cover and keep warm.
- To serve, toast two English muffins or Brioche. Top each with a soft shell crab.
- Set poached egg on top of crab and garnish with hollandaise sauce and chopped scallions.